Project Participants:In- House Builders
Phone: 530.567.5150 / 530.550.5346
Glenshire New Green Home
- Planting a native wildflower area to support
- We are minutes from the new Legacy Trail, which connects us by bike from house
to downtown. We use this frequently! We intentionally chose our lot a) to be
near the Legacy trailhead b) to not have large hills as lazy-barriers to using
- Daily 10 min walk/bike to elementary school.
- River-friendly landscaping assessment by TRWC - it's a big project,
implementation in process.
- Greenhouse planned.
- Planted about 100 trees and shrubs (mostly
native) around the property, with efficient drip irrigation. Native wildflower
area requires little/no supplemental water. Incorporated hardscaping (patios, flagstones,
bark mulch). In the process of greatly reducing our lawn in favour of a
combination of gravel, bark, large stones and shrubs.
- Hot-water-circulation pump on a switch for instant hot water.
- Dual-flush toilets.
- We chose a flat, sunny, south-facing lot to take
advantage of Truckee's 300+ days of sunshine and built a passive-solar-heated
house with south glazing and concrete floors for thermal mass.
- All lights are LED.
- All appliances are Energy Star.
- Hot-water-circulation pump on a switch so pump only runs when hot water is
- Passive solar space heating.
- Solar PV array - 2 kW more than covers our low usage even in winter.
- Air-exchange/heat-recovery ventilator.
- House envelope is metal and stucco for virtually zero maintenance, and to avoid
application of toxic exterior-wood stains and sealants.
- Extensive south-facing glazing means no artificial light well into twilight.
- House designed with indoor-outdoor connectivity in mind, including a folding
glass wall from main living area to on-grade patio and yard.
- Views, yes!
Owner: Lisa Holan
Location: Truckee, CA (Glenshire)
Architect: In House Builders
Builder: In House Builders